0353b. Canada

Tuesday 6 May 2014
by  G. West

Canadian university information and procedures

[|Canada procedures|]

Be sure to check out our Applications Overview and Tests to Takepages as well.

You must apply and get admitted to a Canadian institution and you must apply for a residence and study visa (permis de séjour pour études) through the Canadian Embassy (see address below). If you’ll need to work, contact them as well to understand the conditions. Since these take a long time, you need to get started a year before you plan to study there. Deadlines usually begin in January for autumn sessions. You must get information about how to apply, costs and programs directly from the university that interests you, usually through their Office of Admissions. The CICIC (Centre d’Information Canadien sur les Diplômes Internationaux) can help you evaluate your qualifications for study and entrance. Their address is bureau 5-200, rue Bloor Ouest, Toronto Ontario, Canada M5S 1V5. Phone 1 416 964 1777, Telecopy: 1 416 964 2296 http://www.cicic.ca

If you are not enrolled to take the Option International Bac (OIB), you’ll probably need the TOEFL. Contact http://www.toefl.org and can sign up at the commission franco-américaine, 9 rue Chardin, 75016 Paris, Phone 01 44 14 53 60

Check on universities through l’Association des Universités et Collèges du Canada (AUCC) at http://www.aucc.ca AND through the Association des Collèges Communautaires au Canada (ACCC) at http://www.accc.ca. You can also order McClean’s Guide (http://www.macleans.ca) from Rogers Media 777 Bar St Toronto, Ontario M5W 1A7 CANADA (00-1-888-622-5326) for complete listings and rankings of Canadian universities. Usually the McClean’s special edition for Canadian Universities gives a pretty good idea of this ON LINE at (http://www.macleans.ca/universities) Get the "Guide sur les études universitaires au Canada" from the Association Française d’Etudes Canadiennes, Maison des Sciences de l’Homme 3305 Talence Cedex (enclose a check for 25FF to the order of "Trésorier AFEC" or contact the Centre culturel canadien http://www.canada-culture.org

For visas, contact l’Ambassade du Canada en France, service immigration, 35 avenue Montaigne, 75008 Paris. Phone: 01 44 43 29 16 Fax/ 01 44 43 29 93 Website: http://www.amb-canada.fr. For Quebec you also need a certificate from the Quebec immigration authorities: Délégation Générale du Québec, Service de l’immigration, 87-89, rue de la Boetie, 75008 Paris Phone 01 42 89 59 19


Cost of enrollment* can vary from 2500 Canadian dollars (undergraduates) to 17500 Canadian dollars for post-graduate programs. See tuition costs. Fees and charges vary by faculty. In 2015 they varied between $4000 and $7000 (Canadian) in Quebec (where French citizens pay the same as Canadians), including tuition, society and other fees, student services, registration and transcript charges, and information technology charges for a year. Count on about $1000 (Canadian) of living expenses per month minimum. Although French citizens benefit from the same fees as Canadians in QUEBEC under certain conditions, it is (much) more expensive elsewhere Contact: http://www.crepuq.qc.ca

There is no guarantee of lodging on campus and one must have a French Social Security document to to cover health insurance while in Canada. *In Quebec, French citizen get Québec LOCAL tuition fees, which means about 1000€ per semester at McGill, for example, versus double that for other Canadian residents (Check out McCleans special edition for Canadian Universities for details) The Euro is usually around $1.5 Canadian. Residence with a 5 day meal plan is 600€ a month then you have to add the phone and internet which amounts to 350€ for the whole year. A semi-furnished flat is about 600€/month if shared plus about 260€ a month for food. Text books are often up to 60€ each new, but can be found slightly cheaper. Other costs may run 30-40€/month. You can find work on campus as a French citizen for 5 to 6€ an hour or elsewhere if a Canadian citizen. Good scholars can pick up scholarship help as well, but this differs from university to university. With a French bac, you go directly into the second year and therefore can get a 4 year diploma in 3. To go to McGill will generally require a 13 overall minimum for BA and 12 for Bsc.

Application on line was $50 Canadian dollars as of 2004. They require only transcripts for 1er and Tl and a letter of reference, but the delay between sending and acknowledgement may be up to one month. McGill is special, there are many interesting classes to take, so much stuff to do and because McGill is in Québec, French citizens get ½ Québec tuition fees which is a good deal, if there is anyone with dual nationality interested in going they should apply for a student visa and go as French citizen, it is much cheaper.

The Euro this year varied between $1.25 and $1.45, usually it is around $1.40. International students can work on campus, it usually pays well ($8-10/hour) but Canadian students, even if they are there as French citizen can work anywhere because it’s a constitutional right they can’t take away from you. For the scholarships you need very high grades in lycée if you want one for your first year but most scholarships once you are there are not restricted to Canadians. You’ll have to check on all these yourself. Also, with the French bac you go directly into year 2 so instead of being a 4 year program, many programs are only 3 years.