0351g. Tests you may have to take for your applications.

Tuesday 6 May 2014
by  G. West

Tests you are required to take

There are a number of different tests one may have to take, depending on the country and subject one seeks to study. BUT BE SURE YOU SIGN UP IN TIME FOR ALL EXAMS or you may not be accepted for study.

Entry Tests for the U.S.

To be accepted as an applicant to a U.S. university(see also), you may have to take any or all of the tests below:

To enter a U.S. university, you will also need the SAT or ACT (see links at the end) or both, and these must be taken before December of your senior (Tl) year and signed up for usually before June of your junior (1er) year. It is often good to take the PSAT in October of your junior (1ère year) as well, especially if you are a U.S. citizen as good performance on this test may give you a chance to apply for scholarships. It is also advisable to take certain SAT II tests, known as subject tests, to impress university entrance panels with your general knowledge and skill, and AP tests which allow you to get advanced college credit in foreign languages, mathematics, history or science... meaning it will take you less time and money to get a U.S. diploma (ask the advisor for details.)

Furthermore, you may have to take the TOEFL (also see links at the end) for some universities (English as a foreign language test) unless a U.S. citizen, and usually must score over 550 to be admitted. You must get information and are responsible for signing up for and travelling to the exam center. Do not count on the advisor or the school to handle any of this.

If a student at the CSI Grenoble, you can contact the American School in September of your 1ère year (junior year) to sign up for the PSAT administered in our school building.

Otherwise, you will need to apply at the address below for the U.S. PSAT/National Merit Tests: PSAT/NMSQT P.O Box 6720, Princeton, NJ 08541-6720. Phone: (00) 1 609 771 7070 or (00) 1 609 882 4118. Fax: (00) 1 609 530 0482. E-mail: psat@info.collegeboard.org website: same as the college board SAT below. 1ère students must sign up by June to take the test in 1er in October. Cost about $US20

College Entrance Examination Board SAT Program The College Board P.O. Box 6200 Princeton, NJ 08541-6200 Web site: http://www.collegeboard.org (to train for SAT tests, contact Mr. West for practice books or check the same website.)

Advanced Placement tests. See College board site above and enter AP exams.

ACT 2201 North Dodge Street P.O Box 168 Iowa City, IA 52243-0168 http://www.act.org

TOEFL P.O. Box 1109 6801 BC Arnhem The Netherlands (Pays-Bas) toefl@ets.org or Web site: http://www.toefl.org Tel. 31-26-352-15-77. These are given at regular intervals in Lyon and sometimes in Grenoble.

Pay attention to sign up dates. If you miss one, since the tests do not occur often, you may be unable to gain entry to the university you would like.

[|For Canada, Britain or Australia|]

You may also have to take the SAT or TOEFL or the IELTS (International English Language Testing System TEST) and get a score of 6 or above. Contact the British Council, 9/11 rue de Constantine, 75007 Paris. Or go to IELTS.

For Britain

You may need the National Admissions Test for Law (or LNAT) which is a test which is designed to help universities make fairer choices among the many highly-qualified applicants who want to join their undergraduate law programmes. It is mandatory for both home and overseas applicants to undergraduate law programmes at the eleven participating UK universities. It is possible to take the test at any time between the start of September and the end of June of your senior year and there are test centres all over the world in which the test can be taken. Full details, including the registration facility, are available through the LNAT website -http://www.lnat.ac.uk.

The University of Bristol was among the group of eight universities which developed the LNAT. At Bristol, admissions tutors in the School of Law place considerable reliance on the LNAT. They believe that the test is an aid to identifying untapped academic potential, and so are prepared to make some offers to students who perform well in both the multiple choice and essay sections of the test, even if their performance at GCSE and A level (or equivalent) falls below the usual standards. They put particular emphasis on their evaluation of the essay, and are impressed by applicants who are able to fashion a convincing argument in good English within the 40 minute time frame.

Medical schools in Britain also require special tests like the BMAT or UKCAT.

Oxford requires the TSA (Thinking Skills Assessment) exam and there are also exams required in history sometimes (HAT) and numerous other subjects. The British site UCAS will indicate next to each course what tests are required.

Finally, art and design students have to submit a portfolio of their work to gain admission to programs in British universities. Often this can be done by taking photos of work and putting them on a CD to be sent.